Wednesday, July 3, 2013

On Marriage and Gaining Weight

      When i got married an Aunty of mine shared a very interesting information with me which i ignore until recently. She said "After a year of marriage women generally gain about 5 pounds which are conveniently ignored as it is expected in our culture for women to gain some weight after marriage. But then the poor girl gains 5 pounds every year...  and there she stands 50 pounds heavier after 10 years of marriage! "
      How could i have ever ignored such a precious piece of advice!  Recently after almost a decade her words were echoing in my head and my weighing machine laughing at me. Also many years of various kinds of diet plans, exercises , gym routines and tight clothes stare me at my face as i look into the mirror. My Mother thinks i am lunatic thinking that i am carrying extra weight, and makes me swear that i will never ever starve myself, or try to lose weight...well but that's my mother.

Me and Hammad on our Wedding Day in 2003
      I think the problem lies in genetic memory or social culture or just my love for food. I mean i belong to a family where people generally gain weight in Ramadan instead of losing it. I used to have embarrassingly large portions of lunch packed in school and college during Ramadan because my parents worried i might go hungry... and then as the pace of life changes those large portions don't do you any good.
     No matter what Christian Gray says about being well fed for good sex, i think too much food slows you down. I mean most of the scholars or mentally smart people are also physically smart. How many fat geniuses have you come across? Hardly any right? Its because your body is working at wrong places providing extra energy to digest and transform the food you have put in it and there is very little energy left for everything else then.
      Anyways..thats all .... i sometimes just feel bad that i let this happen, and now i have to think about losing my weight and be conscious of what i eat :(
      So all you beautiful young ladies out there.... be careful of those 5 extra pounds that you acquire after your marriage... do not ignore it...and do not get used to it.
      After all they say :You are what you eat, so don't be Fast, Cheap,Easy or Fake :)

1 comment: